Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience of telephone interviews?

Anyone have experience of telephone interviews?

Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:57 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Anyone have experience of telephone interviews?

Been a while since I last posted! To refresh:
Mid Jan submitted EOI with 110 points & no job offer. Pulled out quickly.
Mid March submitted Appn for Res.
Last week we got letter from NZI saying we were to be assigned a case officer
Today got email asking for telephone interview

"I would like to arrange a telephone interview with Michael. This interview is to assess his ability to settle and contribute in New Zealand. The results of this interview will allow me to determine whether or not we can grant Michael residence immediately or defer his application for up to two years and issue him a work visa to allow him to obtain skilled employment in New Zealand"

Now I'm taking this as dead positive - ie things are moving and the 2 possible outcomes look pretty good to me!

So my Q:- Anyone else been in this sort of situation and any advice to offer for the interview - potentially more scary than a job interview!

Cheers

Biddy
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone have experience of telephone interviews?

Originally Posted by Biddy

"I would like to arrange a telephone interview with Michael. This interview is to assess his ability to settle and contribute in New Zealand. The results of this interview will allow me to determine whether or not we can grant Michael residence immediately or defer his application for up to two years and issue him a work visa to allow him to obtain skilled employment in New Zealand"

Now I'm taking this as dead positive - ie things are moving and the 2 possible outcomes look pretty good to me!

So my Q:- Anyone else been in this sort of situation and any advice to offer for the interview - potentially more scary than a job interview!

Cheers

Biddy
I had a telephone interview for my job in NZ. Its hard especially at the beginning, because you dont feel any connection. On th eplus side you can have heaps of "crip notes" in front of you.

If you can try to find out that the Immigration Service views as important for migrants to be able to "settle and contribute in New Zealand". Read up on the website and be across the issues of Work Permits vs Residency etc.

Not much help but good luck in any case
Old Apr 20th 2005, 10:29 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Biddy,

Treat it as though it is a formal interview.

Have your CV etc in front of you plus any questions you might want to ask etc. Sit up straight or preferably stand when you take the call as your posture will help you sound upbeat. Make sure you have the earpiece volume up high enough.

Newkiwi has a great point - have crib notes at hand in case you think you need them - I usually pin mine to the wall where I will take the call. If you are near a computer you can always have the company webpage up . You may not need any of this but sometimes just knowing they are there helps!

Then relax into it. Once you do one they become easier.

GOOD LUCK!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough

I also had a telephone interview. To be honest, look at it as a good sign because if they weren't serious about considering you for a position, they wouldn't take the chance of interviewing you via a telephone call. My original manager was very laid back-almost like a friend. She really just wanted to know what my job entailed in the UK and why I wanted to go to NZ. I then had to speak to the Clinical Nurse Educator in a further phone call-was really just a formality. Your references are amongst the most important aspects in these situations. I reckon you'll be fine. I was stressed out to the max but in reality, it was a lot easier than a face-to-face interview.

Good luck!!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 9:44 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tayberry
I also had a telephone interview. To be honest, look at it as a good sign because if they weren't serious about considering you for a position, they wouldn't take the chance of interviewing you via a telephone call. My original manager was very laid back-almost like a friend. She really just wanted to know what my job entailed in the UK and why I wanted to go to NZ. I then had to speak to the Clinical Nurse Educator in a further phone call-was really just a formality. Your references are amongst the most important aspects in these situations. I reckon you'll be fine. I was stressed out to the max but in reality, it was a lot easier than a face-to-face interview.

Good luck!!!
Thanks Tayberry, however I may not have made myself clear - it's not a job interview, but one with my immegration case worker. Job interviews are a piece of cake (at least I know what to expect with them!)

Any first hand experience of Immegration interviews out there?

Ta

Biddy
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:09 pm
enilorac

Cheers

Biddy
Hi Biddy

Just wondered if you've had the interview yet and if so how did it go, what sort of questions did they ask and was it really, really scary! :scared:

Enilorac

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:16 pm
Give us a kiss

Originally Posted by enilorac
Hi Biddy

Just wondered if you've had the interview yet and if so how did it go, what sort of questions did they ask and was it really, really scary! :scared:

Enilorac
Not yet! May 4th I've been pencilled in for so I've plenty of time to seat! Some friends of ours who are at the same stage in the process were contacted yesterday and told to ring their case worker sometime next week when it suited. About 1/2 an hour after the pubs open if I had my way.

I'll keep you posted to let you know how it goes.
Biddy
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:21 pm
enilorac

About 1/2 an hour after the pubs open if I had my way.

I'll keep you posted to let you know how it goes.
Biddy
I'd give it a good hour myself, drinking at duty-free speed too! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and wish you lots of luck. Please do keep me posted - I'm dying to know what they say so that I can swot up...I just know that if I get a phone call my mind will go blank and my tongue will feel like it's too big for my mouth and I'll come across as a right eejit when really I'm quite eloquent!! (joke) Good luck anyway.

Enilorac

Old May 1st 2005, 11:04 pm
enilorac

Cheers

Biddy
Hi Biddy

Just wanted to wish you a lorra lorra luck with your telephone interview and let me know how you get on - lots of good wishes coming your way and maybe a little bit of karma too chick...

Caroline

Old May 2nd 2005, 7:28 am
Give us a kiss

Originally Posted by enilorac
Hi Biddy

Just wanted to wish you a lorra lorra luck with your telephone interview and let me know how you get on - lots of good wishes coming your way and maybe a little bit of karma too chick...

Caroline
Appreciate that Caroline - I'll give everyone a rundown sometime Wednesday.
Old May 3rd 2005, 5:14 pm
Banned

jumbabone will become famous soon enoughjumbabone will become famous soon enough

Appreciate that Caroline - I'll give everyone a rundown sometime Wednesday.
Just had my interview this lunch time really nice visa officer,questions on research i have done,have i done any job hunting,how can i support myself etc i was a bit nervous but she was a nice person
Old May 3rd 2005, 5:26 pm
Give us a kiss

Originally Posted by jumbabone
Just had my interview this lunch time really nice visa officer,questions on research i have done,have i done any job hunting,how can i support myself etc i was a bit nervous but she was a nice person
Good for you! It wasn't a lady called Katie by any chance was it? That's who I have tomorrow.
Old May 3rd 2005, 5:33 pm
Banned

jumbabone will become famous soon enoughjumbabone will become famous soon enough

Good for you! It wasn't a lady called Katie by any chance was it? That's who I have tomorrow.
Hello no it was catherine
Old May 3rd 2005, 5:37 pm
Give us a kiss

Originally Posted by jumbabone
Hello no it was catherine
Oh well.....glad it went OK for you. Did you get any indication what the outcome might be?
Old May 3rd 2005, 5:40 pm
Banned

Oh well.....glad it went OK for you. Did you get any indication what the outcome might be?
Yes she said it looks positive i did well and i will know this week

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.